Friend Friday: Trend Woes/Wars

I haven't participated in FBFF in months, and I'm happy to get back on the train for the new year. Friend Friday is not going to be monthly instead of weekly, and for January, with Fashion Week around the corner, we're talking about reacting to new trends. Onto the fun times!

It's pretty, and I actually really like it, but I could never go out in public in this getup. 
1. With Fashion Week around the corner we're all beginning to focus on the upcoming trends for fall. But what are you coveting right now?
Honestly, not much. Although I love shopping, I've never been one to follow trends religiously. I tend to get new pieces if I happen to be in the vicinity of something cute and affordable, or if I need something specific. I haven't been shopping "just because" in months. There are a few pieces I'm looking to add to my wardrobe however. Currently I have my eyes on patterned stockings of some variety, a good blazer or two, a pair of white jeans/leggings (haven't had a pair in years...) and really solid, clunky, stylish boot I can knock around in. The only trend that I really REALLY want to try is colour blocking. It almost always looks amazing, and it's impossibly chic. I think it's probably the one thing I could try with a reasonable measure of confidence that I wouldn't look ridiculous.

2. How do you incorporate new trends into you wardrobe?
Sparingly. That would be the word! I don't usually ease into any trend if I can't immediately picture the way that I would wear and style it. Because of that, it's pretty easy for me to know what would and wouldn't work with the pieces I already have and my body type. 

3. What trend are you seeing and not loving?
Sheer skirts over awkward panties. I know, that sounds really crass, but I bet you know what I mean! I get the idea behind it, kind of... but I feel like in a practical sense, it NEVER works. It looks dramatic on a runway, but outside of that context it's.... kind of gross. My two cents.

4. Do you feel pressure to constantly update you wardrobe with the latest trends?
Yes, but considering that the pressure is coming from me, not really. As I said earlier, I'm not a huge shopper, and never have been (I still like to shop with my mom actually) but I do like nice things, and I pay attention to the new things that pop up. Luckily I'm also a person who is totally fine doing without. I'll probably never put myself in debt buying designer items simply because I'll decide that the price tag isn't worth it. Every now and again I treat myself though. I'll splurge on the one thing I REALLY wanted. It seems to work for me.

5. Where do you find inspiration to take trends and make them more accessible to you and you personal taste?
I'm not sure... magazine, television. General internet media in various sources. I can't really say there's on particular source. I do definitely get a lot of inspiration from other people on campus. As much as I hate boston, there are a lot of impressively dressed people here, and especially on campus. It made my two years at CollegeFashionista very fun! 

What about you? What trends are you loving or loathing? Let me know in the comments below, then head on over to Modly Chic to see what other memebers of FBFF have to say.

Popular posts from this blog

#Scandal: I Know That Olivia Pope Isn't Perfect; It's Part Of The Reason I Love Her

Cover Wars: Nicki Minaj by Howard Huang for Paper Magazine