OkCupid, Stupid!: Misadventures In Online Dating

I joined OKCupid at the beginning of September; a little out of boredom, a little out of curiosity, and a little out of desperation, and it's been... an interesting experience so far.

It's surprisingly hard to meet new people at this age. All of your old friends have either moved away or grown apart, and without the guarantee you had in college of constantly being around compatriots all day, it's really easy to find yourself spending a lot of time alone.

If you know me, then you know that I don't do well alone. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine being on my own, and being an ambivert means that as much as I love being around people, social interactions wear on me quickly, and I need to crawl back into my hole fairly often to recharge. The problem arises when there's no one around when I'm ready to crawl out again.

So I took the plunge. I signed up, added a picture, filled out my profile, and answered some questions. And then I waited. And then I got a few replies. And then I cringed!

Let's just say that the pickings are... pretty slim in Trinidad and Tobago. My theory is that all the decent guys are either taken, or not socially proficient enough to meet new people in real life. But it's probably just that online dating isn't really a thing down here just yet. T&T is so small already; why would it need to be? There are never more than about 3 degrees between any two people. But for socially awkward weirdos like me, it might be a saving grace.

Continue Reading My Brilliance! >>>

Popular posts from this blog

#Scandal: I Know That Olivia Pope Isn't Perfect; It's Part Of The Reason I Love Her

Cover Wars: Nicki Minaj by Howard Huang for Paper Magazine